Places to See/Hear Closing Announcements
The Blackboard Connect messaging system will contact parents/guardians via a phone call or message and/or email. Please make sure we have accurate contact information.
The school's Facebook page is probably the first place the announcement will be posted as social media is relatively instantaneous.
Channel 6 ABC
There will be information under 'Announcements' on the home page of this Website.
School Closing Options
All Day Closing
7:50 a.m. to 2:30 p.m
All evening and SACC activities will be canceled unless otherwise indicated.
Two Hour Delay
9:50 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Bus pick-up times will be exactly two hours later.
School Closing Information
Administration understands that the decision to open or close schools in bad weather impacts families. Our top priority is the safety of our students.
How is the decision made?
Please understand that the decision to close or delay the opening of school in bad weather is based on a careful analysis of all relevant factors, such as:
- Information on road conditions - Careful consideration is given to the most dangerous roads in the district. Even if your road looks clear, travel elsewhere in the district may be dangerous.
- Amount of snow and ice accumulated
- Whether precipitation is continuing
- Building conditions - Such as whether we have electricity and heat
- Parking lot conditions - Administrators talk to maintenance & custodial staff members who are responsible for clearing & treating school parking lots & sidewalks
- Temperature and wind chill
- Weather predictions - While it is not ideal to make a decision based on a forecast prediction, this is sometimes unavoidable. Once a decision is made to close, it will not be reversed.
- What other school districts are doing - The Superintendent consults with other distircts.
Who makes the decision?
The Superintendent is responsible for the final decision, based on the above factors.
When is the decision made?
It depends on the nature of the storm. The decision to close school is normally made by 5:00 a.m. or earlier so we can notify parents and guardians.
Will we close if the weather worsens?
Once the decision is made to open the school, many parents rely on that and leave for work. If the students are sent home early, many could be returning to empty houses. We avoid dismissing early due to weather for this reason. If an early dismissal due to weather is unavoidable, we ask parents to make sure their students know what their emergency plan is.